Sinkhole Response Suspended After “Uptick” in Seismic Activity

David Mitchell from The Advocate reports:

[Response operations at the 8.6-acre sinkhole in Assumption Parish were halted Tuesday after seismic monitors noted an increase in underground tremors that have been linked with “burps” and edge collapses in the yawning slurry hole, state regulators and parish officials said.

John Boudreaux, director of the parish Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness, said about five to six trees that had been leaning over for the past week along the northeast side of the sinkhole fell in Tuesday morning and that small bubbling spots also have re-emerged in the sinkhole.

“They do have a section in the center of the sinkhole that has that bubbling,” he said.]

Read more here.

In an update released by the Assumption Parish Police Jury, the suspension of operations is confirmed:

The Office of Conservation is advising Assumption Parish officials and the public in the Bayou Corne area that CB&I and Itasca Group analysis of ongoing seismic monitoring has detected what appears to be an uptick in underground fluid movement below the sinkhole in the vicinity of the failed Oxy 3 cavern in the past 24 hours. As has been noted in earlier similar events, the fluid movement appears to be linked to observations of trees falling into the sinkhole, release of trapped debris from the sinkhole bottom and increased odor from hydrocarbons released to surface. CB&I and Itasca Group analysts have advised that, while the activity appears to represent no additional significant threat to the general area, operations directly on the sinkhole be suspended until subsurface activity slows again.

WWLTV an affiliate in Louisiana reports on the sinkhole situation:

 

 

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *